Shepparton Hotels History:
This is the list of the Shepparton Hotels and their order of being built:
1853 - Parson's Inn (later known as Prince of Wales Inn), 1873 - Shepparton Hotel, The Bush Inn, Criterion Hotel, Royal Hotel, Farmer's Arms Hotel, Commercial Hotel, Terminus Hotel, Goulburn Valley Hotel, Union Hotel (now The Aussie), Victoria Hotel.
Several of the original hotels were mostly wooden structures and were destroyed by fire - the Goulburn Valley, the Union, the Court House, the Terminus and the Commercial.
List of Shepparton Hotels:
Parson's Inn (Prince of Wales Inn)
Farmers Arms Hotel
Court House Hotel
Goulburn Valley Hotel
The Aussie Hotel (was the Union)
Shepparton's Terminus Hotel has been in existence for
nearly 140 years, undergoing several reincarnations
tlIroughout its history. It has recently been offered for
sale by the present owners, this may see the end of years
of continuous ownership and service to the community
by members of the Stainsby family.
A brief history of the hotel is as follows:
(Extract from Shepparton News Sept 2009)
1878 Coghlan's Hotel built (details are sketchy)
1880 Rail came to Shepparton
1881 Mid 1880's Hotel changed to Coghlan's Terminus Hotel (terminus of railway line)
1885 Agnes Houston was born in Scotland
1916 Licencee of Terminus Hotel, James McDonald charged with selling adulterated whisky
1918 Original weatherboard hotel burnt down. Rebuilt as a single story brick structure to a design by well known local architect J.A.K. Clarke.
1921 Agnes and John Houston migrated to Australia with daughter Margaret
1928 Bryant and Shiel sell their Goulburn Valley hotels, including the Terminus, Court House and Union in Shepparton, the Royal Mail and Commercial in Mooroopna, Tallygaroopna's Victoria, Dookie's Gladstone and the Pine Lodge Hotel.
1938 Major renovation to building adding a first story and changing facade to classic art deco
1941 Agnes Houston opened account with Carlton and United Breweries 27 July. Agnes took over lease of Terminus Hotel the following day
1943 Bob Stainsby sent to Shepparton by the P.M.G. to build Radio Australia. He stayed at the Terminus Hotel where he met Margaret Houston. They married in 1944
1945 Margaret became licensee of hotel as Agnes Houston had lost her licence for allowing S.P. bookmakers on the premises
1950 Bob and Margaret's first child, Robert is born
1955 Fire damages dining room and kitchen, alarm raised by four year old son Robert. A daughter Diane Margaret born to Bob and Margaret
1960 Third child Karen Charlotte Stainsby born
1961 Stainsby family purchase freehold of hotel
1971 Drive in bottle shop built
1972 Major bar renovation and bistro built
1973 Robert Stainsby (jnr) starts work in hotel
1978 Agnes Houston passes away. She served in the bar until shortly before her death
1983 "Pippins" a classy wine bar is built
1985 Diane's husband Ern Meharry starts work as bottle shop manager
1986 Daughter Karen starts working at the hotel
1992 Margaret Stainsby passes away
1995 Exterior of hotel restored to Art Deco splendour
1996 Ownership of hotel passes to the three children Robert, Diane and Karen.
2001 The family celebrates 60 years and four generations in the business
2017 The Terminus Hotel advertised for sale