Named by Surveyor JG Wilmot after the traditional High Street of the English Village. This street was laid out along the line of the dray track which was part of the route taken by miners when they were travelling from the gold fields in Central Victoria to the newly-discovered gold fields in the Ovens Valley via McGuire's Punt. In the 1850's this track carried more traffic than the north-south track from Avenel to the Murray. This street is now part of the Midland Highway.
Farmers' Arms Hotel
Located on the corner of High and Maude Sts
(Weekly Times 1897)
Mr Geo. McCracken, the proprietor of the Farmers' Arms Hotel, is one of the
very early pioneers of Shepparton. His long association with the district and his genera good qualities have assisted to make him one of the most popular men in the town. Mr M'Cracken is an ardent supporter of everything which is for the advance of Shepparton, and his solid and sound experience has been a distinct advantage in organising and promoting many movements tor the welfare of the place. The Farmers' Arms is one of the old landmarks of Shepparton, and is a large commodious hotel, with a genuine farmers' connection. Mr McCracken draws the choicest ales and keeps the very best brands of spirits and wines. The accommodation for visitors is excellent, and the cleanly appearance of the Farmers' Arms is evidence of efficient management. The free stabling and yard accommodation is largely
availed of. The Farmers' Arms is a great meeting place for farmers, and
notes are regularly compared by our tillers of the soil as to the prospects of the season, the price of wheat and stock, and other little items which affect the farming population. Mr McCracken makes a capital host, and his general
manly qualities are much appreciated.
Located on the corner of High and Maude Sts, it was originally the site of the Farmers' Arms Hotel and later replaced by Annie Cavanagh's Canberra Coffee Palace in 1929. After this time it was sold to SPC for a women's hostel, managed by the YWCA and then sold to a developer in 1970 for wrecking in preparation for building Woolworths and later, Nancarrow's supermarket.
(Shepparton Coffee Palaces)